The Los Angeles Lakers are the pinnacle of professional sports teams when it comes to the Southern California area. And the Laker Girls are one of the most popular cheer teams across the nation. Former Laker Girl Sarah Rhoades has been a lifetime Laker fan and SoCal resident where she found a passion for dancing and entertaining at a young age. One of her personal goals was to become a Laker Girl which came true when she became a part of the Lakers Championship squad during the 08-09 season.
INTERVIEW WITH SARAH RHOADES:
1. When did becoming a performer (actor, dancer) become an interest and goal of yours? My mom put me in dance lessons when I was three and even back in my tiny tot days, I loved being on the stage. I then attended Orange County High School of the Arts for dance but also continued my competition work, so dance was basically my life. After high school, I got an acting agent and a dance agent who sent me on great auditions where I was able to perform on stage, television, commercials, and do print work.
2. What do you enjoy most about performing? Being on stage is the biggest thrill and experience for me. To hear the crowd and to express myself through dance is indescribable, it’s as though nothing else matters. Performing for the screen is very different but is still very exciting.
3. What was your favorite moment as a Laker Girl? Not only was this my favorite moment as a Laker Girl, but one of the best moments of my life was the day of the championship parade and rally. We all got on fire trucks and rode throughout the city waving to our insanely loud and passionate fans. Then once we got to the LA Coliseum, just getting on the Laker floor, looking up at the 80,000 people that came to celebrate the victory was insane! We did a few routines and I had the time of my life! Afterward, I got to hold and kiss the trophy and even got pictures with the players. And right before I was leaving to go home I saw Magic Johnson and, yes, I got a picture with him!
4. What was a typical dance routine as a Laker Girl? We had a variety of routines, from girly jazz to funky hip-hop. Different points of the game call for a different style of music and dance.
5. Who are your favorite sports teams and athletes? Lakers baby! Even before I became a Laker Girl, the Lakers were always my favorite. I enjoy going to other sporting events but basketball has a special place in my heart.
6. Where are your favorite places to shop? I can shop almost anywhere but my favorites include Forever 21, Nordstrom, and Target! And for my Harry Potter and Elvis Presley obsessions, I love shopping at Whimsic Alley in LA and any vintage stores!
7. What do you enjoy doing on days off? I love to play with my dogs, read, study the Bible, hang out with my family and friends, go to the beach, and sleep in!
8. You mentioned dogs, what kind of dogs are they? I have two furry babies! Elvis is an Alaskan Klee Kai and Pixie is a Siberian Husky. They are a huge part of my life and I love them… even when they chew up my favorite shoes.
9. What are your favorite movies? The list is almost never-ending but to name a few: Titanic, Harry Potter, Star Wars, The Little Mermaid, Blue Hawaii, Star Trek, Newsies, Peter Pan, Lord of the Rings, Step Brothers, Happy Gilmore, Tommy Boy… basically anything nerdy or funny!
10. What do you enjoy most about Southern California? My family is here, the beach is here, the entertainment industry is here… a girl couldn’t ask for more.
11. Are you currently single, dating or married? I thought I was dating Chris Pine but then I realized I was dreaming… so I guess I’m single.
12. If you could play any sports professionally, what would it be? Ice skating! I admire them so much, what talent!
13. Being an active user of Instagram, how would you describe the photos you post? 95% are photos of my dogs… everyone should follow me, they are so cute!!! (@sarahrhoades)
14. What is the most challenging thing about being a performer? Knowing that I can’t do it forever.
15. What kind of music do you listen to? I love a variety of music but I would never change the radio if Elvis Presley, Britney Spears, the Beatles, Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson, or Celine Dion was playing.
16. Do you have a favorite quote or motto you live by? I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13
17. If you couldn’t perform, what would you be doing? Working with animals or children.
18. What are three adjectives your friends would use to describe you? Giggly, Nerdy, Bighearted.
Not only does Sarah possess the beauty but the smarts as well, graduating from Cal State Fullerton with a B.A. in Entertainment Communications. Feel free to follow Sarah on her Twitter account @SarahRhoades for updates and fun photos.
Want to recommend someone as our next SoCal Spotlight? Feel free to email us at Info@SoCalSportsMedia.com
No related posts.